Tuesday, November 8, 2011

30 Days of Thankful - Day 8

I posted earlier and regret it now.  It was negative.  And I decided I need to keep a positive outlook.  I am an example for my boys.  I don't want to hurt my mom.  (If she were to read the earlier post, she would be upset.  She would have taken it personally.  I am sorry about that.)

So what am I thankful for today?  My mom.  I think back to when each of my sons was born.  She was there.  I think about the fact her mom wasn't there when my sister and I were born.  She had passed away when my mom was 21.  Can you imagine how difficult that would have been?  21 is a hard age anyway.  So she wasn't there when I was born.  My mom was essentially alone.  My dad's parents were there but were not very supoortive of her.  Ever.  Aunt Shirley supported her but wasn't there either.  Knowing how my dad is (and probably was then), I realize she was alone.

My mom is a very outgoing person.  A people person.  In the 70's and 80's in southwestern rural Virginia, the dad is the breadwinner and the mom stayed home with the kids.  Knowing my mom's personality and need to be with others, I realize she must have been miserable staying at home with us all day.  And we only had one car, so usually she was just that -- home alone with us all day.  And my sister and I were typical siblings, fussing and fighting.  She must have been miserable.

So I am thankful for my mom.  She's not perfect, but neither am I.  I am thankful for all she does for me and our family. 

That's better.



No comments:

Post a Comment