Friday, November 11, 2011

30 Days of Thankful - Day 11

Today (11.11.11) is Veteran's Day.  I day to remember, honor and support those who have or who are serving in our armed forces.  These are the men and women who have been the strong arm or the enforcer of democracy.  Some join willingly; others are required to because of circumstances.

My eyes have been opened this week watching Vietnam in HD on the History Channel with my husband and oldest son.  My dad served in Vietnam even though he doesn't talk about it very much, if ever.  Growing up, we were trained never to ask about it or talk about it.  "He doesn't like to talk about it."

I know he served in the latter part of the war.  Based on what I know, he probably served sometime around 1968.  He would have been 25 then.  The draft age was from 18 to 25 years.

I am pretty sure he was wounded.  But I haven't seen medals or anything.  I believe his son and first wife have all of those things related to his service.  I hope they still have them anyway.

I know that my dad is a creative soul who is fun-loving yet gentle.  I know this war, fighting on the ground, must have been Hell for him.  I know he still has nightmares about it, and he is 68 years old.

It makes me sad.

But it also makes me proud that he did it.  Even though I know he didn't want to.  Even though it hurt him physically and emotionally.

And it makes me thankful for him, his service and his sacrifice.  And those like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment