Sunday, January 15, 2012

I Really LIKE Him

I love all my children. More than anything. Today I realized how much I really like my oldest son Ethan.


I think he went through a little thing after each of his brothers was born. It's completely understandable though; he was IT for six and a half years. All of a sudden, he was thrust into the role of big brother. He was good with it, I think, until the little things about having younger siblings surfaced. They get your parents attention, you have to become more independent, you have to share your bedroom, they get into your personal stuff. (We've all been there.)

But something has happened over the past few months. He has seemed to take an interest in his brothers. He will play with them and watch out for them if I have to go to the bathroom. He is truly becoming a Big Brother. I watch him with the little guys and see how much they are going to live and admire him as they grow older. Maybe even as adults, because he's that great. That. Would. Be. Awesome.

That aside, I've begun to really pay attention to him and see how special he is. He's smart; always has been. But I love his inquisitive brain and how it works. I love how he comes into Nash's room when I'm rocking him, getting him to sleep, and just talks. Spills out whatever thought or question is on his mind. Lately, it's computer stuff. Cool.

What I am loving so much today is his heart. He's always been kind and sweet, when he wants to be. It touches my heart how much he loves Aunt Shirley. How it breaks his heart and he quietly cries a little when we leave her house (just like I still do). How he tells me he misses her and wants to call her. (This is a big deal; he's not a phonophile. Again, like his mama.)

I am realizing how many little things we have in common. Unspoken things. Things I've seen in myself but never talk about. Even some of his facial features. Funny.

Ethan's always been a good boy whom I love unconditionally. I really LIKE him, too. I hope I never forget this feeling, and I hope he feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment