Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My One Little Word

Welcome 2012! 

It is useless for me to make new year's resolutions because they are the same ones every year (get organized, lose weight, yada yada).  And I just don't stick with them for 30 days, much less 365.

I read this post on Lisa Leonard's blog last week.  (I just love her jewelry and blog; it's very inspiring!)  So this year, I have decided to choose a word to be my "theme" for the year.  It is present.

I want to be present whenever I am doing things this year, whether it's at home or at work or at the grocery store.  Too many times, I find my mind wandering to to-do lists or technology (Does Words With Friends or Facebook ring a bell?) instead of living in the moment.  I want to be present enjoying the little things my boys do.  I want to be engaged in the conversations I have with my husband or friends or family.  I want to be focused on whatever it is I am working on at work.  I want to be present 100% at the moment.  Maybe this will throw planning out the window.  But so what?  These days are going by way too quickly.  I want to enjoy these things:


Christmas Eve 2011 -- matching jammies for the big boys (including dad!)
Nash looking in the mirror in his nursery
Cheeeeese, Zane!
The first snowball of Winter 2011-12
Gratuitous baby feet photo :)

This morning on my way to work, I had to get gas in my car.  (Yep, that procrastination resolution from my last birthday isn't working out so well.)  I took the opportunity to be present in a brief moment to enjoy watching the light snowfall (our first real one all season).  It was beautiful against the backdrop of the WV mountains (even though I got distracted by the Adult Book Store sign in the the backdrop, on the other side of the road).  Nonetheless, I felt the cold wind on my cheeks and nose.  I breathed in the cold air (minus the gas tank fumes).  I was present in the moment.

As silly as that all sounds, I hope it is a step forward.  I hope I can continue doing this exercise every day in 2012.

Even though I didn't choose one word last year, I look back and think I did have a theme word for 2011.  It was joy.  I had a joyful year with some sadness and tension and disappointment.  But overall it was a good, year for me and my family.  I love that word.  Joy.  I want to keep joy in the back of my mind, too, this year as we go through this 366 days of a shiny New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment